Forum

Hypoglycemia

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hypoglycemia

Postby popester09 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 pm

I've recently been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (my pancreas over-reacts and sends too much insulin). I get easily fatigued and weak when this happens. So, I have a 30 mile MTB race coming in the next few weeks (possibly with snow) :shock: and I need some quick in-sight for my in-ride fueling. Can I still use Hammer gel? Should I add some protein (Perpetuem)? I'm at a loss and need some insight...FAST! Thanks so much!
popester09

Re: Hypoglycemia

Postby steve-born » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:06 am

Hello popester09 -

I've been out of the country for 2+ weeks and with very limited email access, which is why my reply is coming to you later than I'd normally prefer.

I am not a medical professional, nor an expert on the subject, so I did a little research. One site I reviewed (written by a certified diabetes educator) stated, "Reactive hypoglycemia is quite rare. It is characterized by a fall in blood glucose two to four hours after eating, accompanied by a feeling of weakness, faintness, perspiration, anxiety, and/or hunger. It is not related to the hypoglycemia associated with some blood-glucose-lowering medications, such as insulin or sulfonylureas."

Assuming this is correct - that the drop in blood glucose falls 2-4 hours after eating - I would think it'd be fine to use Hammer Gel prior to and during your race, followed ASAP with Recoverite. Of course, you could use Perpetuem instead of Hammer Gel; in fact, that may be a more ideal choice as the protein component should mediate the Glycemic Index "reaction" (for lack of a better term) of Hammer Gel, which is a carbohydrate-only product. Though it was designed primarily for 2-3+ hour races, Perpetuem can most certainly still be used in shorter-duration events. You will probably find that you won't need as many calories from Perpetuem as you would Hammer Gel so I would suggest using our usage suggestions as your guide.

* 0 – 120 lbs (approx 54.5 kg) – up to 3/4 scoop/hr. This provides approximately 101 calories
* 120-155 lbs (approx 54.5-70 kg) – 1 scoop/hr. This provides 135 calories
* 155-190 lbs (approx 70-86 kg) – 1.25 to 1.5 scoops/hr. This provides approx 169 to 202.5 calories
* 190+ lbs (86+ kg) – up to 2 scoops/hr. This provides 270 calories

I hope this helps!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby popester09 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Thank you, Mr. Born. I didn't realize that the reaction has a 2-4 hour delay. This information will help me to reconsider my fueling options and help to keep me away from Metformin (I'm anti-drug as much as possible). :D
popester09

Postby Tom Marcello » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 am

I have hypoglycemia as well and I use all hammer products. Not being a medical profesional I can only tell you what works for me. I take soy protien as part of all prerace meals, this makes an amazing difference in stabalizing my blood sugar. During events I "sip" my heed and gels ,I avoid sudden large intake of any carb or sugar. The most important thing that i have learned is that its just like every other race routine you will have to learn what works for you. Bonk a few times in training just so you learn that you can get through it, a gel will save me in 10-20 minutes. Find out what will save your race.
Tom Marcello

Return to Endurance Forum