Forum

Boosting Immune System (I've got a cold)

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Boosting Immune System (I've got a cold)

Postby charleskline » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Hey all,

My race season is winding down. I've finished up the two series I was racing and training for (really hard). The day after my last big race, I woke up with a bad head cold. I have not had a history of getting sick, but I'm attributing it to the increase in training over the past month and the last few very important (and very tough) races I did just getting my immune system down.

I take PIC's daily, as well as a handful of other Hammer supplements. I'm wondering if anyone has any other advice or recommendations for boosting the immune system during times of increased stress so I can try and prevent getting sick again. I still have a few events that I want to do before winter gets here.

Thanks,
Charles
Charles Kline
http://www.ibike365.com
charleskline

Re: Boosting Immune System (I've got a cold)

Postby steve-born » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:44 am

Hello Charles -

We just returned from Las Vegas (the annual Interbike bicycle trade show) so I hope by the time you read this your sickness will be a thing of the past.

As far as what nutrients you can take to help boost the immune system, I think PIC's are at the top of the list. That product covers a lot of nutritional "bases," including the all-important antioxidants that we need to maintain a strong immune system. With that in mind, though they have additional benefits above and beyond antioxidant support, the daily use of Race Caps Supreme, Mito Caps, Super Antioxidant, and AO Booster is a tremendous way of providing the body with a wide range of antioxidants for supporting the immune system.

Another good idea that you might want to consider is the daily consumption of a scoop of Hammer Whey. I usually have a glass of Hammer Whey as a mid-morning snack because I believe that the glutamine component in the product is a tremendous immune system-boosting nutrient. Sometimes I take the product at night as well, just prior to bed, but for sure I take it daily and I think it does help.

Still, with all of the traveling that I do, the opportunities to get sick seem to always be there. That's why, in addition to the above-listed nutrients, I take the following when I feel run down, overly stressed, and especially if I think I might be catching something:

1) Vitamin C - I take 1000 mg 3x a day every day in divided doses. I prefer to use a buffered vitamin C (calcium ascorbate, a.k.a. Ester C) as it has a more neutral pH, which means less chance for stomach distress. When I feel like I'm borderline getting sick I take every more vitamin C.

2) Olive Leaf Extract - This is something that I've started taking fairly regularly, and for sure when I feel like I'm coming down with something. Dr. James R. Privitera wrote, a "natural supplement of olive leaf extract contains substantial medicinal benefits. Among them, boosting the energy among patients and aiding in the treatment of herpes and other viral conditions, flu and colds, fungal infections, chronic fatigue and allergies."

Dr Bill once wrote, "I have also been surprised by unexpected results generated by this supplement. A Dutch researcher determined the active ingredient in oleuropein to be a substance he called elenolic acid. It was found to have a powerful anti-bacterial effect. Upjohn pharmaceutical research scientists long ago showed that elenolic acid inhibited viral growth. It stopped every virus that it was tested against."

3) Echinacea - The very moment I think that I may be coming down with a cold, I hit the echinacea hard. It is believed that this herb has anti-viral properties, which is why it's so widely used when cold or flu symptoms first manifest. I don't believe it's something that needs to be taken daily, but if you feel like you're coming down with something, that's the time to start on the echincea. As is the case with most herbal supplements, I prefer to use a standardized extract, which ensures that you're getting the same amount of active ingredients with every capsule or dropper (the latter if using a liquid formula).

4) Elderberry extract - Dr Bill once wrote, "Sambucus Nigra lectins (extracted from Elderberry berry and flower) helps prevent influenza viruses from entering cells (helps prevents influenza virus replication). Influenza viruses contain an enzyme named viral neuraminidase in its 'spikes' on outer cell structure and it is this enzyme which punctures cell membranes allowing the virus to penetrate into human cells. It is the lectin content that inhibit viral neuraminidase enzyme. By inhibiting the ability of influenza viruses that cause influenza to replicate, impressive research suggests that elderberry may prevent influenza and may minimize the symptoms of influenza."

As far as #3 and #4 are concerned, NOW Foods has an interesting looking product - I believe it's fairly new - called AlliBiotic CF, which contains Olive Leaf Extract, Elderberry Extract, and few other immune system-specific nutrients. I have not used this particular product but it may be worth investigating, especially if you're feeling run down and/or starting to feel like you're catching something. You should be able to find this product in a decent health food store. If not, I found it at this online store that I have done business with - http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-AlliBiot ... /3322?at=0

Please note that I have no affiliation with Now Foods, this product, or this online store.

So in addition to your daily regimen of Hammer Nutrition supplements, these are some ideas that you might want to consider. I hope this information is helpful to you, Charles.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby charleskline » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:05 am

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this cold is still hanging on a bit. I've been taking Elderberry Extract, but the Olive Leaf Extract sounds interesting. I haven't been taking Echinacea, but this is something I've taken in the past. I'll step it up a bit. Getting tired of feeling bad.

Thanks,
Charles
Charles Kline
http://www.ibike365.com
charleskline

Postby mandyj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks for the information Steve. I was feeling run down and had to travel for work last week and it was all downhill from there. I got an ear infection and sinus stuff. I just finished my antiobiotic. I am running the Chicago Marathon next weekend and want to be ready. I have been taking the PIC's and other Hammer supplements. I am trying to find the balance between training (well tapering now) and not running the body down to much. I am going to try some of your suggestions. Thanks again for your post.
mandyj

Return to Endurance Forum