Forum

Restless Leg Syndrome and Endurolytes

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Restless Leg Syndrome and Endurolytes

Postby kieroneil » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I've experienced Restless Leg Syndrome for the past few years. Basically it's symptoms are cramping in my calves that starts when I lay down for bed and get's progressively worse.

When I'm training or racing the first thing to cramp is always my calves.

I'm wondering whether the RLS is somehow related to an electrolyte imbalance which is causing the symptoms.

If so then maybe I can start loading Endurolytes an hour before bed to get a decent night's sleep?

Thanks,
Kier
Bentonville, Arkansas
kieroneil

Re: Restless Leg Syndrome and Endurolytes

Postby steve-born » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Hello Kier -

My apologies to you and the other Forum members for the tardiness of my replies. I was out of the country from the 7th until the 18th and had minimal Internet access during that time.

Anyway, as far as the Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) problems that you've been experiencing, we have received a number of testimonials from clients who have successfully used Endurolytes to manage the symptoms, if not eliminate the problem altogether. I attribute this primarily to the magnesium content, with the calcium component also playing a role.

I'd suggest that you take 3 Endurolytes prior to bed and see if that helps. If not, you might want to add a separate magnesium supplement prior to bedtime. Two studies (listed below) suggest that supplemental magnesium may be helpful for RLS, even when magnesium levels are normal.

So start with 3 Endurolytes for a few days and see if that helps. If not, you might want to try an additional magnesium supplement (200 - 400 mg) along with the Endurolytes.

I hope this helps and please let me know what your results are.

Sincerely -

Steve

REFERENCES

*** Hornyak M, Voderholzer U, Hohagen F, et al. Magnesium therapy for periodic leg movements-related insomnia and restless legs syndrome: An open pilot study. Sleep. 1998;21:501-505.

*** Popoviciu L, Asgian B, Delast-Popoviciu D, et al. Clinical, EEG, electromyographic and polysomnographic studies in restless legs syndrome caused by magnesium deficiency. Rom J Neurol Psychiatry. 1993;31:55-61.
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby mangumc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Hello, Kier. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with RLS. I have struggled with the condition for over 15 years and would like to offer some suggestions as to management of the condition.

I have not found that the use of magnesium supplements (Endurolytes, etc.) have had any positive effect on RLS. My understanding is that RLS is more of a brain problem than a muscle problem, so electrolytes will probably not address the underlying root of the disease, though it may help the cramping. My RLS symptoms have always presented as rhythmic aches behind the knees which, without treatment, have kept me awake until about 2-3 AM before drifting off to sleep. I have found that the use of narcotics is very effective in relieving symptoms, but that is not a good long-term solution. Parkinson Disease meds help some, but they cause a rebound effect in me, meaning my symptoms actually get worse after taking them. The best drug for me has been gabapentin (Neurontin). It should be taken close to bedtime as it will make you a bit sleepy.

I always stretch my hams and quads, and now iliopsoas, every night, which seems to help my RLS. Epsom salt baths have helped some of us who suffer from this condition.

I encourage you to visit and support the RLS Foundation (www.rls.org), which has been leading the effort in finding treatment and perhaps a cure for RLS.

People may chuckle at the name of the malady, but until they experience the anguish associated with the disease, they do not appreciate what we go through day after day, or, should I say, night after night.

As you know, RLS is now recognized as a progressive, persistent disease. It only gets worse as you get older. I am 56 and was diagnosed about 15 years ago, having had symptoms for about 5 years before. I have not significantly worsened over the last few years, perhaps due to my activity levels. I took up cycling about 3-4 years ago and it seems to have helped stabilize my condition.

I hope you find a way to cope with your symptoms until the cure is found.
Chris Mangum
Raleigh, NC
mangumc

Postby kieroneil » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have wondered whether RLS is a precursor to Parkinson's and the fact that they can be treated with the same medications really makes me think there is some link.

I'm going to look into what you recommended and probably try the magnesium too just to cover all options.

Thanks again,
Kier
Bentonville, AR
kieroneil

Postby kieroneil » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:07 pm

I just wanted to follow up with everyone...

I've been taking 500mg of magnesium before bed since my last post and my restless leg symptoms have pretty much disappeared.

Victory of natural supplements over pharmacueticals :-)
kieroneil

Postby mangumc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 pm

That's great news, Kieroneil. Much better to treat RLS with magnesium than pharmaceuticals. I hope it continues to work for you.
Chris Mangum
Raleigh, NC
mangumc

Postby SzDoc » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:30 pm

kieroneil: Yes, there is some commonality with the chemicals in the brain and some of the medications used to treat RLS and PD. However, the former only slightly increases risk of developing the latter, and is certainly not a precursor.

FWIW...
SzDoc

Return to Endurance Forum