Forum

Whey-vs-Soy Protein

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Whey-vs-Soy Protein

Postby alpsmasher » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 am

O.k. I'm confused!

Reading the article in the new Issue 71, p.7, I am now confused on the better of the two!

I try to live a gluten free-Palo diet. Palo limits to anything not able to eat raw or cooked. If soy is a non-edible raw, is it better to go with the Whey?
alpsmasher

Re: Whey-vs-Soy Protein

Postby mark-decker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 pm

alpsmasher,

Take a look at the following Athlete Education Series. It will help explain why Whey Protein is superior to Soy Protein however a true Paleolithic diet would not include Dairy.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/mailers/ ... online.pdf

Also as part of the same article Steve goes on to say:
"While we certainly don't discount this information in the slightest, we believe that the amino acid profile of whey protein isolate-plus the inclusion of substantial amounts of glutamine in both Hammer Whey and Recoverite-make it the ideal protein source for enhancing recovery. That said, the benefits of soy protein, as mentioned earlier, may very well "kick start" the recovery process when used during exercise. The antioxidant benefits of soy protein is one of many reasons it is included in our long-duration exercise fuels, Sustained Energy and Perpetuem.

Take Care,

Mark
mark-decker

Re: Whey-vs-Soy Protein

Postby alpsmasher » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks!

I read the latest "information" article. I agree, a "true" Paleolithic Diet" excludes diary, I do use Hammer products on my 18-25 mi day hikes, and Recoverite for post-hike or a run.

If the benefit of Whey exceeds the negative of a strict Paleo diet, then I can accept it.
alpsmasher

Re: Whey Protein is out

Postby alpsmasher » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 am

I better try to stick to my diet plan. I already survived the gluten-free switch, took awhile, but now a routine.

I'll finish off my last 1/3 of my Whey tub, then hold off the rest of diary. HEED, SE, and Hammer Gel will still be part of my exercise and fast-pack day hiking.
alpsmasher

Return to Endurance Forum