Forum

Suggested Supplementation

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Suggested Supplementation

Postby Steelcyclist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:04 pm

I use Sustained Energy and Esspresso Gel cut 50-50 with unflavored (the late great unflavored that is :o ). Another product for hydration that is electrolyte only. This combo seems to work INCREDIBLY well for longer distance rides (200 mi), and even for medium distance high intensity training rides (80-100 mi). So I'm a solid believer in Hammer products, and even sport the cycling bibs whenever given the chance!

But...

I've been reading alot about Boron and Premium Insurance Caps. But do not want to buy supplements willy-nilly. So I wonder if there's a good way to get suggestions for my current and expected training load (next year)?

So I think to myself, "Self, why don't you just toss all your info out there in the forums and see what comes back". :roll:

Sensitivity/Allergies: Eggs & Almonds
Training: 6-10 hours per week
Diet: Gluten Free, loads of veggies, lean protein, dairy

2011 events
Marathon
2-3 -Sprint Distance Tri
1 -70.3 Distance Tri
1-2 -Double century bike rides
smattering of other random smaller races

Can you make a suggestion for nutritional supplements? I've got a pretty healthy diet at the moment, but want to ensure I'm getting enough Micro nutrients to support an increasing training load as well as Macro nutrients for recovery. Any suggestions would be great!

Btw, Whey is great at bedtime. I sleep like a baby all night. But would you suggest your whey product for that vs recoverite? My workouts are primarily in the morning.

Cheers!
Steelcyclist

Re: Suggested Supplementation

Postby mangumc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:41 pm

I can only speak to the benefit of the Premium Insurance Caps (PIC). PIC is the only multi-vitamin/mineral/etc. supplement I have ever taken (and that's a lot) that makes me feel better on the days I take them. Since I began using PIC regularly, about 2.5 years, I have not had a cold which is a big change for me. I think they boost immune strength, recovery and overall body wellness. Of all the Hammer supplements, not fuels, PIC would be the last I'd cut. They are well worth the $.
Chris Mangum
Raleigh, NC
mangumc

Postby steve-born » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 am

Hello Steelcyclist (please list your first name on future posts so we know who you are!) -

In your post you wrote: "I've been reading alot about Boron and Premium Insurance Caps. But do not want to buy supplements willy-nilly. So I wonder if there's a good way to get suggestions for my current and expected training load (next year)?"

My answer to that question is the use of the three Daily Essentials products, Premium Insurance Caps, Race Caps Supreme, and Mito Caps. In my article "The Hammer Nutrition Daily Essentials Formula" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1253.html) I provide the rationale for this recommendation as well as usage suggestions for each of these products.

If you wanted to augment the use of these three products, my next recommendation would be AO Booster (see http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/EN61/ ... 61.html#ao for more information). After that I would suggest Super Antioxidant (see http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... t.sao.html for more information, in particular the "Product Detail" link).

If you have any questions after reviewing the information in the links I've provided please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby Steelcyclist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Steve and Mangumc,

Thank you for the recommendations!

Those are exactly the type of responses I was hoping to get (and figured would most likely follow from Hammer!). It's really handy to get specific on the supplements.

I'll be picking up some Recoverite or Whey here shortly as well, since it is the off season and time to increase resistance training. I've been eagerly awaiting that torture!

Recommend Recoverite vs Whey? Why would we choose one over the other?

Thanks,
-Geoff
Steelcyclist

Postby steve-born » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Hello Geoff -

If I am doing a workout (such as bike ride, etc) that depletes glycogen stores I will want to use a "carbohydrate + whey protein" product afterward, which would mean Recoverite. If I am going to be doing a weight training session - minimal-to-no aerobic activity involved - I would probably lean more towards the use of Hammer Whey. I could still use Recoverite if desired, though I'll probably not need the carbohydrates as much after a weight training session versus a 2-hour primarily-aerobic workout.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby Steelcyclist » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Great, thank you Steve.

BTW,
I love you guys' latest write ups on Soy in Endurance news and the newsletter mailer. It's fun to see some of the old myths get debunked.

-Geoff
Steelcyclist

Return to Endurance Forum