Forum

Nutrient Timing

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Nutrient Timing

Postby Black29er » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 am

I recently read the book "Nutrient Timing" by John Ivy and Robert Portman. The basic premise is that by timing the intake of certain macro-nutrients during and after a workout you can better support the recovery/muscle growth process. It generally seems consistent with Hammer recommendations, though they do recomend taking in Carbohydrates even in workouts less than 90 minutes and taking a protrien supplement a few hours after a workout.

The book mostly refers to body-builders/wieght lifters, but I was wondering if Hammer has any particular view on these concepts?

Thanks,

Dave Bell
Black29er

Re: Nutrient Timing

Postby steve-born » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Hello Dave -

I have not yet read the book you refer to, but it sounds like one I'd enjoy reading, especially since I fond of Ivy's research. Thanks for the 4-1-1.

Here's my take on the topics you've brought up:

1) I have no issues whatsoever with the consumption of carbohydrates during workouts in the 90-minute-and-under duration. However, if one is fairly fit, and if they've been consciously "refilling the tank" after their workouts with carbs + protein (Recoverite is ideal for this), then they will have built up a 60-90 minute reservoir of muscle glycogen, the first fuel used when exercise begins.

It that is the case then it is theoretically possible to do workouts up to 90 minutes on water only, and without the need to consume carbohydrates. That said, I err on the cautious/conservative side and suggest that no carbohydrate intake is needed on shorter-than-60-minute workouts (i.e., my personal limit is 60 minutes but no higher) AND if the workout is of low intensity.

In other words, if the workout is of any intensity over 60 minutes and/or if it's of high intensity (hill repeats, intervals) during even very short-duration workouts, then yes, I think that would merit the intake of carbohydrates during the workout.

The key, of course, is post-workout recovery. That is so essential, in my opinion... as important as anything one may do in the actual workout itself. I discuss this in detail in the article "Recovery - A Crucial Component for Athletic Success" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1278.html

2) I am a firm believer that a "carb + protein" recovery drink is better than a "carb only" recovery drink... the only possible exception would be for super short and easy workouts, such as one that's a 20 minute "loosening up" kind of workout.

In the article I refer to above, and especially in the section entitled "Protein – Essential component for recovery" (and a couple more sections following it), I discuss the rationale for the use of a "carb + protein" drink versus a "carb only" drink.

As far as protein intake in general is concerned, in the article "The Importance of Protein For Endurance Athletes" (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... .1276.html), we write the following:

How much protein do endurance athletes need to consume? Numerous studies have demonstrated that endurance athletes in heavy training need more protein than recreational athletes do. Once it was believed that 1/2 gram of protein per pound (about .5 kilogram) of body weight—75 grams for a 150–lb (68 kg) person—per day was sufficient. Today’s standards, however, would increase that figure to about 100–112 grams (2/3 to 3/4 grams of protein per pound of body weight).

To find out how much you require, multiply your weight in kilograms by 1.4 to 1.7, depending on your exercise intensity. This gives you the amount of protein (in grams) that you should consume on a daily basis. (To convert from pounds to kilograms, divide by 2.2). Thus, a 165–pound (75 kg) athlete in high training mode should consume about 128 grams of protein daily.

In real–life amounts, to obtain 128 grams of protein you would need to consume a quart of skim milk (32 grams), 3 oz. of tuna (15 grams), 7 oz. of lean chicken breast (62 grams), 4 slices of whole wheat bread (16 grams), and a few bananas (one gram each).

Of course, we get protein in some amounts from a variety of foods. But how many of us down the equivalent of a quart of milk, a half–can of tuna, two chicken breasts, and four slices of whole wheat bread every day? Track and record your diet and do some calculating. It takes quite a bit of effort to ensure adequate protein intake, especially for vegetarians and those who avoid dairy products. Remember to include protein intake from Sustained Energy, Perpetuem, and Recoverite in your calculations. If you still come up short, consider additional applications of Hammer Whey and/or Hammer Soy. If you're serious about your performance and also your health, then respect the importance of providing adequate protein in your diet.

--- END ---

My position is that protein intake should be adequate and spread throughout the day. Now, whether a protein supplement is better than a high-quality "real food" protein source is debatable... I think the main thing is that one's protein intake throughout the day be adequate and should come from high-quality whole-food protein sources, with protein powders (such as Hammer Whey and Hammer Soy) being used as needed to fulfill those daily requirements.

I hope my thoughts and opinions will be helpful to you, Dave.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum