Forum

First Death Valley Century Ride

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

First Death Valley Century Ride

Postby jmaisano » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 am

Hello Steve and Hammer Forum Members

I am scheduled to take part in first Death Valley Century Ride in Mid October. I am writing to ask those who have ridden in Death Valley for some advice as it relates to acclimation/Hydration/supplementation.

I live in Central NC and have been training in warm/hot temperatures with High Humidity all year; however the conditions in Death Valley are very different then what I have been training in.

I fly in on a Thursday and ride on a Saturday so getting acclimated to the weather will be limited. There will be a small training ride Friday morning, and then the Century on Saturday.

Can anyone provide me some insight to how to prepare or alter my supplementation / Hydration for such a change in conditions?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Joe
jmaisano

Re: First Death Valley Century Ride

Postby steve-born » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello Joe -

I've done the DV Century and Double Century rides multiple times, as well as the Furnace Creek 508 (a portion of which is on the DV Century/Double Century course).

In October the weather is usually pretty mild in terms of temperatures, certainly in comparison to what they are in the summer months, but they can still be unpredictable. Furnace Creek takes place in October and there have been years when the temps topped off in the upper 80's and one year when it reached close to 110. So honestly, you just never know.

Morning temperatures at that time of the year can be quite chilly so be prepared with some cold weather gear, even though you'll probably be shedding it fairly early on.

Having done the Race Across America a few times, which means I've ridden in every conceivable weather condition, I have found that it's a lot easier for me to stay properly hydrated and replenish electrolytes more precisely in hot/dry conditions versus hot/humid conditions (in the latter, I found it almost impossible to stay cool because the sweat, which cooled the skin, never dried).

Personally, I don't think you will need to change you fueling/hydration/electrolyte protocol much, if at all. I would certainly start with what you've been doing throughout the year and, if necessary, alter that on an as-needed basis. Depending on the temperatures, you may find that you will need slightly more ounces of fluid hourly as well as an extra Endurolytes capsule or two hourly. But to be honest with you, I don't think you will need to alter your fueling protocol very much, if you do at all. In fact, I would suggest that you will find it more pleasant to ride in a hot/dry environment versus as hot/humid environment. Not saying this 100% definitively but I do believe you'll enjoy the conditions, assuming they're not unusually hot.

We sponsor this particular event so a number of Hammer Nutrition products will be available at the rest stops to augment what you're bringing with you.
It's a great ride and you will have a little time to acclimate... so go and enjoy!

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: First Death Valley Century Ride

Postby jmaisano » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Steve

As always thank you for the advice and insight. The heat and humidity in NC has been the worse I have seen in years so I was very concerned with such a drastic change. I now feel much better and I’m really looking forward to this ride. I will keep doing what has been working for me so far and be prepared to make the necessary adjustments as I go forward.

Thanks to Hammer and the great products in which you produce I have had the best season of riding and training that I have had. Now I finally feel ready to take on such a challenge.

Thanks again
jmaisano

Return to Endurance Forum