Forum

coughing smoke

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

coughing smoke

Postby jrawlins » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Here's a strange one. I've recently begun coughing a cloud of acrid, highly visible smoke from my mouth in the hour or two after I take my morning or evening supplements. Each time it happens, it only happens once (one cloud of smoke), and it's highly visible--as in, once I did it while driving my car and for a second I thought the car was on fire. It leaves a taste in my mouth vaguely like charcoal. I only do this about once a week, though I can sense the charcoal taste more often.

Any idea what might be going on? It's a pretty freaky experience. fyi here's what I take:

Morning: PIC's, calcium, magnesium, vit D, a mineral mix, omega 3, coQ10, bluegreen algae

Evening: PIC's, D, E, C, red yeast rice, calcium, magnesium, omega 3

I'm beginning to feel like I'm in "The Exorcist."

Jay Rawlins
jrawlins

Re: coughing smoke

Postby irace1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am

Seek advice from a physician - a pulmonologist.
Jeff Trout
USAT, USAC & USATF Certified Coaching
www.cadencetraining.org
irace1

Re: coughing smoke

Postby mark-decker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 am

I've had a similar situation. I was on a long XC ride this July and after a downhill section I was stopped waiting for others and started seeing my breath as if it was cold. Steve might have a different suggestion but I attributed it to taking PICs within an hour before I rode. I started to follow the directions of waiting 3 hours prior to exercise when taking the PICs and it hasn't happened since. Your situation might be different, but I wanted to let you know that you are not the only one.
mark-decker

Return to Endurance Forum