Forum

Heed/Perpetuem Question for training

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Heed/Perpetuem Question for training

Postby Ron » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 pm

I've been training for a 6 hour race. I try to get at least one longer training session in a week. The other day I rode about 5 hours. Here is what I used for fuel:

1st hour 1.5 scoops of Heed in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel
2nd hour 1.5 scoops of Heed in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel
3rd hour 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel
4th hour 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel
5th hour 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel

I'm also taking endurolytes every hour anywhere from 1 - 3/hour depending on temperature/humidity. I weigh about 165 lbs.

After rereading the section in the knowledge base about fueling during rides over 3 hours it seems like I should be using all perpetuem instead of the heed or using perpetuem for a larger percentage of my caloric intake.
Is the additional protein needed as a steady supply over the 5 hours to prevent protein cannibalization or is the system I'm using as outlined above sufficient? Can I stick with HEED for the first two hours and can I use the gels every hour or should I be using more perpetuem and less gels?

Thanks.

Ron
Ron

Re: Heed/Perpetuem Question for training

Postby steve-born » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Hello Ron -

The fueling protocol that you've been using is absolutely fine, though you may be over-supplying your body with calories - not much, just a little - by using 1.5 scoops of Perpetuem (202.5 calories) and 1 Hammer Gel (approximately 90 calories). This gives you a total of over 290 calories, which I think is on the high side for your weight... the amount you're using in your 3rd, 4th, and 5th hours is more appropriate, in my opinion (total = about 225 calories).

The rationale for using protein during exercise is to help fulfill a small portion of your energy requirements (anywhere from 5% - 15% when exercise goes beyond 90-120 minutes), which helps minimize muscle tissue cannibalization.

My position is that a "carb + protein" fuel (Perpetuem or Sustained Energy) should be used to fulfill the majority of one's energy requirements - roughly 2/3 to 3/4 - when exercise goes beyond 3 hours. That said, you can use Perpetuem as your sole fuel from beginning to end, no problem with that at all, or you can use it as your primary fuel (as just suggested), with HEED or Hammer Gel used on occasion to provide some variety in the menu. Or, you can start with a "carb only" fuel (Hammer Gel or HEED) for the first hour or two, then switch to a "carb + protein" fuel (Sustained Energy or Perpetuem) after that.

If I were to do a 6-hour ride, I'd make a concentrated, 4-hour bottle of Perpetuem and carry a full flask of Hammer Gel. I've now got 6 hours of calories in two small containers - one bottle and one flask - which I think makes things a lot easier fueling-wise. I'll take Endurolytes to fulfill electrolyte requirements and drink plain water from another source (bottle, hydration pack, etc) to take care of hydration needs. All I'll probably need to do is get more water along the way. Simple!

I hope this helps answer your questions but if you need more assistance please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby Ron » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Steve:

Thanks for the quick reply. I think you might have misread part of what I wrote.
I wasn't using 1.5 scoops of Perpetuem it was 1.5 scoops of Heed which should be 150 calories and then with the 90 calories from the gel I am taking in 240 calories/hr for the 1st two hours and then switching to 1 scoop of perpetuem at 135 calories + 90 from the gel gives me 225 calories/hr for hours 3,4 and 5.

I am having better luck with just making the 1 hour bottles as the multihour bottles have too potent a flavor for my liking. I also actually prefer a little taste in my bottle rather then just plain water, to each his own I guess.

So unless you say otherwise I think I'll stick with my regimen, it seems to work; consistent energy, no nausea or hunger and no cramping.
Thanks for the great product and helpful advise.

Ron
Ron

Postby steve-born » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 am

Hello Ron -

You are indeed correct in that I had misread your original fueling plan, stating that you were using Perpetuem when in fact it was HEED for the first couple hours. My bad!

Let's take a quick look at your fueling protocol, noting that the latest Nutrition Facts now shows HEED to contain 100 calories, not 105 as was originally suggested:

*** 1st hour --1.5 scoops of Heed in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel ---> supplies about 240 calories. Absolutely fine.

*** 2nd hour -- 1.5 scoops of Heed in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel ---> supplies about 240 calories. Absolutely fine.

*** 3rd hour -- 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel ---> supplies about 225 calories. Absolutely fine.

*** 4th hour -- 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel ---> supplies about 225 calories. Absolutely fine.

5th hour -- 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24 oz. bottle + 1 Hammer gel ---> supplies about 225 calories. Absolutely fine.

The only thing you might want to consider is bumping up your Perpetuem use ever so slightly from 1 scoop per hour, to 1.25 scoops per hour. This will increase the calorie donation from Perpetuem to about 169 calories, which, along with the Hammer Gel (approx 90 calories), will give you an hourly total of 258 or so.

Again though, I see nothing wrong with your current protocol. However, adding 1/4 of a scoop to your current Perpetuem intake - making it a total of 1.25 scoops per bottle - would certainly be acceptable, especially if you feel you're running a bit low on calories.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Return to Endurance Forum