Forum

Hammer Whey Gluten free?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Hammer Whey Gluten free?

Postby alpsmasher » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:01 am

If I am going wheat free (gluten free), Med. type diet, does this reduce some of the products? Like Whey? I do not want Soy in my diet also.
alpsmasher

Re: Hammer Whey Gluten free?

Postby steve-born » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 pm

alpsmasher -

You should have absolutely no problem with using Hammer Whey.

I'm cutting and pasting the information directly from the FAQ on our website (http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... 12510.html)

All Hammer Nutrition products - with one possible exception, discussed shortly - are gluten free.

During Dr. Bill Misner's tenure here at Hammer Nutrition, he noted, "I have no record of any Celiac patient reporting allergenic reaction to Hammer Nutrition products between 1995-2008. I have advised several Celiac patients and GI allergy-sensitive athletes during these years both and as an employee and currently a retired nutrition scientist Ph.D."

"Hammer Nutrition products are essentially gluten-free, and should be well-tolerated. There is one exception, (though not always). One ingredient in Super Antioxidant, Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), is an endogenous antioxidant enzyme in formula, typically processed before the gluten effectively forms. But, if even the slightest error in the premature timing of harvest occurs, it could potentially generate a miniscule gluten fraction. At this date, we have not received any report of any of our products inducing a gluten-sensitivity reaction."

So with the remote possibility of the SOD component in Super Antioxidant, you can rest assured knowing that all Hammer products are gluten free.

--- END ---

May I ask why you do not want to consume soy protein?

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Why not soy?

Postby alpsmasher » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 am

Well, I'm trying to fine-tune my diet to fight Anemia + a bone density battle.

Also steering away from a wheat, as you are, but also slowly adapting to the "Mediterranean + Paleo diet" theory. I've read some great articles on the Paleo diet theory of how the human body was a more balanced nutrition before and ag industry came about.

My research on anemia + calcium absorbing, and the production of soy products have me concerned with any soy products.
alpsmasher

Re: Hammer Whey Gluten free?

Postby steve-born » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:24 am

1) If you need supplement suggestions for the anemia/bone density issues please let me know.

2) Dr. Bill wrote a great article on the Paleo diet that you can find at http://www.hammernutrition.com/EN/EN60/ ... html#paleo

3) What specifically are your concerns with the production of soy protein products? If it's in regards to the use of hexane, here is some information I had on file from Dr. Bill...

"Please note that Hexane is used on most soy produce to separate oil, protein, and carbohydrate. When soy protein isolates are cycled through the finished phase, NO Hexane comes in contact with the finishing of protein from soy produce. Additionally, HLPC tests have determined less than 1 part per million Hexane may result at most. From having read HLPC assays on a multiple of natural metabolites over the last 11 years, I can assure you that the Solae Supro brand product [which is what we use in Hammer Soy and soy-containing products] is highly refined and virtually free of contaminants. There are several natural and man-made airborne and water-borne contaminants far more toxic to human health than the nearly nil Hexane molecule found in Soy Protein Isolates made by Dupont's Solae division.

--- END ---

There is an excellent article about soy protein from the Life Extension Foundation that I received permission to reprint in the next edition of Endurance News. I'll give you the links to this article so that you can review it ahead of time:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/jul ... afe_01.htm
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/jul ... afe_02.htm

I hope this helps -

Sincerely -

Steve

P.S. Please remember to include your first name on all of your posts!
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re:Whey & Soy

Postby alpsmasher » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks Steve!

Great article from Dr. Bill!

My concern is not with Hammer Soy, but the intake of any soy product. The human effort to convert raw soy to a human eating form is what I am avoiding. Trying to keep my nutrition as "natural" as possible.

I plan to check my local team-supported shop to see what they have, then either buy from them or order. They were only stocking gel jugs and single packs.

Michael
alpsmasher

Return to Endurance Forum