Forum

fueling for multiple workouts a day

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

fueling for multiple workouts a day

Postby Jacare » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:47 pm

I often end up doing multiple workouts within the same day.
When combined or brick workouts, I just carry over my nutrition plan as there is no interuption. I normally use a blend of Perpetuem and SE+Heed and gel for flavoring in different flasks.
When I have a big time gap between the too, as in, one in the morning and one in the evening. I treat them as completely separate. Recoverite and then food following each workout.
My problem is when they are separated by only, say 90' to 2 hours. It is not enough time to allow for full digestion. Should I take some Recoverite or is the Whey Protein in it a possible problem. Should I instead carry over with Perpetuem or SE although I come to rest for a solid period of time?
Nico
Jacare

Re: fueling for multiple workouts a day

Postby samuelnaney » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:15 pm

I compete in cross-country ski sprint competitions, which have very similar intervals between heats as what you are describing. We race a qualifier in the morning, say around 9am, then the elimination heats usually begin 1.5 - 2 hours later, and follow in rapid succession after that. Given the short, intense duration of the event (~3-4min/heat) I want to make sure I'm fully recovered from the time trial qualifying round before the heats. I take Recoverite and a gel or two immediately after that 9am TT and have no problem with digestion of the whey or anything else before the heats begin. I find that 1.5 - 2hours is enough time for my body to work through those macronutrients and get prepped for another hard effort.

Hope that helps!
samuelnaney

Return to Endurance Forum