Forum

Early morning pre-race drink

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Early morning pre-race drink

Postby duthemath » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi,

My first Ironman race is coming up soon. I have been looking at the fueling for an IM material and in particular, the information below. I have heard suggestions elsewhere that it helps to wake up in the early morning (e.g. 2 AM), drink some quick calories, and go back to sleep. So the argument goes - you get some quick calories, you don't lose sleep, and you get the calories 5 hours before the start. Is there any value to doing this, assuming you can do it without losing much sleep? If so, which Hammer product might work best?

Thanks,
Jeremy Dodds

***** THE NIGHT BEFORE THE RACE *****
. Eat clean, eat until you're satisfied, then call it a night -- You can't positively affect muscle glycogen storage capabilities the night before the race, a time when the glycogen synthase enzyme---which again, is the enzyme that controls glycogen storage---is inactive (hint: that's why post-workout refueling is so important). Consume complex carbohydrates, some high quality protein, and low-to-no saturated fat, and be sure to drink sufficient amounts (but not too much) of water. Skip the alcohol, fatty foods, and dessert... save those "rewards" for after the race.
SOURCE: "Recovery -- A crucial component of athletic success"

***** THE MORNING OF THE RACE *****
. No calories three hours prior to the race -- The first fuel your body will use when the race begins is muscle glycogen (again, this is why post-workout refueling is so vital). Eating a pre-race meal at the wrong time will negatively affect how your body utilizes its finite stores of glycogen, which will negatively impact your performance.
SOURCE: "The Pre-Race Meal"

. Don't sacrifice sleep to eat -- A better strategy than eating 1-2 hours prior to the race is to consume 1-2 servings of Hammer Gel 5-10 minutes prior to the start. That will top off liver glycogen stores nicely (the goal of the pre-race meal), and provide some calories to augment muscle glycogen store during the swim portion, but without negatively affecting how muscle glycogen is utilized.
SOURCE: "The Pre-Race Meal"
duthemath

Re: Early morning pre-race drink

Postby duthemath » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 am

Anyone have any thoughts on this? My race is this weekend.

Thanks again,
Jeremy Dodds
duthemath

Postby steve-born » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 am

Hello Jeremy -

If you just happen to get up during the night for a bathroom break AND if will you not be sacrificing sleep and all its recuperative benefits to take the time to have a little food or fuel, then yes, it would be fine to eat a little something during that time. I would not intentionally do this (set an alarm to get up early just to eat), but if you do happen to wake up during the night and want to ingest a few calories that is perfectly acceptable.

Keep in mind that all you will be doing is topping off your liver glycogen stores. The first fuel you will use when the race begins is muscle-stored glycogen, and you won't have drained one calorie of that first-used fuel even after a full night's sleep.

Bottom line: It's a good idea to top off liver glycogen stores (that's what will have been depleted during your sleep) but you don't want to do it at a time that will negatively affect how your body is using its finite stores of muscle glycogen. That's why the "no calories for 3 hours prior rule" exists.

If you do happen to wake up during your sleep for a bathroom break and feel like having some easily digested calories, that will definitely help top off liver glycogen stores but without negatively influencing how your body will use its muscle glycogen stores. Just make sure you don't expend a lot of time to do this... your body needs as much sleep prior to a big race as possible!

If you need more clarification on this please let me know.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby duthemath » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:54 am

Thank you Steve. Would just a Hammer Gel do the trick or is a drink better (and which one)? Would I accomplish the same thing with a couple of gels 20 minutes before the start?

Thanks again,
Jeremy
duthemath

Postby bamagene4726 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 pm

I totally agree with this non- eating before any race!!!
bamagene4726

Return to Endurance Forum