Forum

Race Caps lowering blood pressure?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Race Caps lowering blood pressure?

Postby cmc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 am

For the past 6 weeks or so I've been trying the Epic Race/Workout supplementation plan for long rides and races; 1 Race Caps, 1 Mito Caps, 2 Endurance Aminos, 2 Anti Fatigue every 1.5/2 hours. I've completed about 6 events trying these supplements ranging from a 360k to 600ks, and a 24-hour race.

My nutrition plan has varied. In the first two events I was using my old plan of about 200-250cal/hr with Perpetuem and a bite of gel, chews or rice bars every 20-30 min. In the last few events I've tried to use mostly Perpetuem with a little gel and almost no solid food, getting about 150cal/hr. I've consistently used 1-3 Endurolytes per hour depending on heat.

The problem I'm having since trying the Epic supplementation is nausea and extreme dizziness/lightheadedness. At first I thought it was a hydration issue, but I've experienced the same symptoms when I thought my water intake was low, high and just right. It's occurred to some degree during every event, but has been worse during the events that I was avoiding solid food. In the longer events I've stopped taking the supplements and gone back to Endurolytes-only for the last several hours and felt a little better.

I noticed in the recent Hammer newsletter that Race Caps are purported to lower blood pressure. I normally have very low blood pressure and wondered if taking Race Caps during races may be causing my blood pressure to drop, resulting in dizziness? I also read recently that a new study indicated that women need far less protein during endurance events than men. Is it possible that the Endurance Aminos or the higher percentage of protein I'm getting by relying mostly on Perpetuem is making me sick?

-Cathy
cmc

Re: Race Caps lowering blood pressure?

Postby steve-born » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 am

Hello Cathy -

Coenzyme Q10 (found in Race Caps Supreme, 30 mg per capsule) does appear to help lower blood pressure. However, it usually takes several weeks for this to be accomplished. One study I reviewed showed that some of the patients involved continued to take their traditional hypertension treatments/medications to lower plus pressure while also adding about 120 mg/day of CoQ10 to their regimen. The other patients were given a placebo.

After eight weeks the patients receiving the CoQ10 supplements saw a greater reduction in blood pressure compared to the patients receiving a placebo. In the CoQ10 group, systolic blood pressure decreased 12 mm Hg more than the patients in the control group. Diastolic blood pressure was down by 6 mm Hg.

This is a pretty decent drop in both systolic and diastolic readings, though again, it took quite awhile before these results were achieved and it took a fairly hefty amount of CoQ10 as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you take Race Caps Supreme you're replenishing nutrients that are constantly being depleted during prolonged exercise. Put another way, when you take the product on an hourly basis your body isn't storing up all these nutrients, it's using them. Now, if you have hypotension (low blood pressure) and are on medication for that condition, it is conceivable that the CoQ10 in Race Caps Supreme could drop your blood pressure even lower, which could be why you're experiencing the dizziness and lightheadedness (though, as you can imagine, there are a number of reasons for these symptoms... do a Google search on the topic and you'll find at least a half dozen or more possibilities). At any rate, I would suggest that you get a blood pressure reading to rule out this possibility.

On the other hand, if you don't have low blood pressure and aren't taking any medications for that then I honestly don't think that the CoQ10 in the Race Caps Supreme would be the culprit for the problems you've experienced, especially since you're only taking 30 mg of it every 1.5 to 2 hours. As mentioned earlier, there are a number of possibilities for the dizziness and lightheadedness you're experiencing. One of the primary possibilities is dehydration, while another is simply due to the effort you're putting in during these rides. If these symptoms are occurring during the latter part of your exercise sessions/races then either of these two possibilities would more likely be ones to look at versus the CoQ10 in Race Caps Supreme. That's just my opinion, however, and it shouldn't be interpreted as medical advice.

On your longer rides I would certainly incorporate a little solid food into your overall fueling plan, if only for some variety in the menu and the opportunity to chew on "real food." I know that when I was out more than "X" amount of hours, I had to have a little solid food, if only to break up the monotony of going all liquid all the time. So when you're doing your long training rides and events - and 300k to 600k is certainly a long ride in my opinion - have some solid food on occasion. Just make wise choices (low-to-no refined sugar and saturated fats, and minimal fiber) and use it somewhat sparingly.

I think that this will also help eliminate the stomach issues that you've been experiencing, which could simply be due to taking lots of pills. I know that for me (and I suspect this would be true for pretty much everyone), taking lots of pills hourly was somewhat of an acquired skill... I had to start slow and gradually increase the number of pills I took, and how often I took them, so that my digestive system would be able to accommodate them. I tried to take my supplements hourly; however, if the weather was hot and/or if I was doing a lot of climbing, I oftentimes had to back off of my hourly intake for a couple hours, just so my stomach wouldn't rebel.

The Endurance Amino product, while containing a few specific amino acids, is not considered a complete protein because it doesn't contain all the amino acids necessary for a product to be called a complete protein source. Therefore, I don't think your use of it in tandem with Perpetuem is an issue.

What I'd like you to give a try is the following:

1) Use Perpetuem as your primary fuel, roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of the time.

2) On occasion, use just Hammer Gel (no Perpetuem) as your fuel for a given hour. Again, you want to use Perpetuem as your primary fuel source but it's absolutely OK to take a break from that for an hour or two and go with a "carb only" fuel (Hammer Gel). When I did the Double Furnace Creek 508 record (75+ hours on the bike), I did just that -- I used Perpetuem most of the time but I went with Hammer Gel only for stretches of 1-3 hours before going back to Perpetuem.

3) Let's go with the supplements every two hours instead of every hour and a half. Take a dose prior to the ride, then start taking "during ride" doses every two hours beginning at hour #2 or #3.

4) Personally, I really like the amounts of the supplements you're taking. 1 Race Caps Supreme, 1 Mito Caps, 2 Endurance Aminos, 2 Anti Fatigue Caps every two hours is a really good dose. However, it is OK for you to take a break from these every-two-hour doses if you're stomach is saying, "Hey, I need a break from all these pills. Keep giving me Endurolytes because I need the electrolytes, but back off for awhile on the rest of the supplements until I've settled." When you're exercising in hot weather, oftentimes it's hard for the digestive system to process all these capsules. So if your stomach needs a break from your every-two-hour dosing, definitely heed its request and don't start back on them until things have mellowed out.

I'm not sure if I've been able to address and answer your concerns completely, Cathy, but I hope that the info and suggestions I've provided will be helpful to you. Please let me know if you need more information or clarification and if you reply, please let me know if you have low blood pressure to begin with and/or if you're on any medications, especially blood pressure ones (high or low blood pressure meds).

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: Race Caps lowering blood pressure?

Postby cmc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I will give your recommendations a try for my next couple long rides.

How do you and other athletes gauge the actual benefit from taking all these supplements?

Cathy
cmc

Return to Endurance Forum