Forum

SE versus Perpetuem for IM?

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

SE versus Perpetuem for IM?

Postby Kat_Kong » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi,
I have used Perpetuem a number of times for IM training and racing and I finally determined it doesn't agree with my GI system (I get bloated, extremely thirsty, etc). I tried mixing it as a paste and in water bottles. I was wondering about using Sustained Energy instead of Perpetuem for IM training and racing? Should I supplement SE with Hammer Gel or Hammer Bars to mix things up (on the bike that is). Running I use Hammer Gel and it works great.

Thanks!

KK :P
Kat_Kong

Re: SE versus Perpetuem for IM?

Postby steve-born » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:50 am

Hello Kat -

There are some small differences between Perpetuem and Sustained Energy; however, their application is almost 100% the same (the "six of one, half dozen of the other" train of thought).

Perpetuem does contain some healthy fat in it, which slows the digestion rate down ever so slightly. For ultra endurance events this is actually quite beneficial. Conversely, for athletes who are doing somewhat shorter races (though an Ironman could hardly be considered shorter in the purest sense of the word), oftentimes Sustained Energy - which contains no fat - is a better choice.

So yes, I would encourage you to give Sustained Energy a try, using it as your primary-to-sole fuel on the bike, with Hammer Gel as your fuel during the run portion.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Re: SE versus Perpetuem for IM?

Postby ctprice7 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 am

For my Ironman races and trainging I mix them together and throw in a digest cap every hour. The digest cap makes a big difference for me.
Connie Price
ctprice7

Return to Endurance Forum