Forum

Stacking or Separating Supplement

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Stacking or Separating Supplement

Postby bechange » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Regarding, stacking.

Using Race Cap Supreme + Anti-Fatigue, is there any issues by stacking? I want the AF to scavenger excess acid and Race Cap to buffer lactic.

Using Race Day Boost (w/ 4day load) + Anti-Fatigue, is there any issues stacking or redundancy?

Not related, yesterday on a 2 hour run or 65% MHR, at 60 min mark, crashed... hard. Started shivering and was not sweating? Easy enough, dehydration, right. Confusion for me was that by 60 min, I had consumed 22 oz of Hydration that contained 2 tbs of Hammer Gel.

92 degrees.
Very light, (CA) Humidity

Only anomaly from any other run, was I had taken Claritin allergy med in the am, 4-5 hours prior.

I returned home and kept hydration rolling. 4 hours later and 90 oz of h2o/pedialite (3:1) I still had a throbbing headache and spiking heart rate with the slightest activity...

Weird, but wanting some insights...HAS CLARITIN caused rapid and prolonged dehydration?

Jason Harper
bechange

Re: Stacking or Separating Supplement

Postby steve-born » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:15 am

Hello Jason -

You can most definitely stack Race Caps Supreme and Anti-Fatigue Caps without any issues regarding nutrient overload or redundancy. In fact, when I do a long ride I stack Race Caps Supreme, Anti-Fatigue Caps, Mito Caps, and Endurance Amino all together. The only replication of nutrients in these products is a small amount of vitamin E (found in both Race Caps Supreme and Mito Caps). Not a big deal at all.

Check out my article "Epic Workout/Race Supplement Suggestions" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... 14741.html

Even if you don't use all the supplements suggested in the article, you will find the rationale for the use of whatever supplements you want to use during your workouts and races... in your case, Jason, Race Caps Supreme and Anti-Fatigue Caps.

Also, while there is really no right or wrong way to carry the capsules, check out the suggestions made in the blog post entitled "Capsule Carrying Made Easier!" at http://www.hammernutrition.com/blog/cap ... de-easier/

Lastly, there is no "overlapping of nutrients" when using Race Day Boost (RDB) with any other Hammer Nutrition supplement. Just remember that when you use RDB you will be adding some sodium to your diet (every 1000 mg serving of sodium phosphate contains about 173 mg of sodium). When you do a four-day load with RDB you will thus be consuming an additional 690+ mg of sodium each day for four straight days. My advice to athletes who use RDB is to be cognizant of how much sodium they're already getting from their diet, and to try and lower it if possible because of the additional amounts of sodium they're getting from RDB.

As far as your use of Claritin and dehydration is concerned, I did some Internet searching and found that a couple of the potential side effects are increased sweating, thirst, palpitations, and altered salivation (I didn't see anything regarding headaches). I'm not a medical professional and am thus unable to provide a diagnosis. Therefore, it might be prudent to discuss this with your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps, Jason.

Sincerely-

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby bechange » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Steve | Claratin Allergy Med and I divorced yesterday. :)

Thanks for the update. We are working out our final tweaks as we head to Badwater. The 4 day load of RDB will be paramount for Ray Sanchez. I will figure the sodium levels as well. We most likely convert him to Perpertuem at the 2 hr mark, rather than waiting till 4 hrs in. Augmenting with rotating sips of perp and additional hydration source we are hoping for 24-27 oz total on the hour (12oz and 12oz) Depending on his sweating, we may need to ratchet up the hydration to 2o-22, keeping perp near 15oz per hour, but want to guard against gut slush.

Endurolytes all day from pre to post. Hoping near the 30 hour mark...

This will be the final of his three in BAD series. Brazil, Arrowhead are down. Badwater, lets go.

Thanks Steve.
See you soon.
JAS
bechange

Postby steve-born » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Jason -

Just a quick FYI to let you know that I got your Facebook message and will reply ASAP (sorry for the delay... it's been quite hectic here!).

I also wanted to ask that you please convey my best wishes to Ray (and of course to you and the other crew members as well) for a most successful Badwater and the completion of BAD, which will surely go down as one of the most epic accomplishments ever (note to all - see the interview I had with Ray, Jason, and Michelle at http://www.hammernutrition.com/download ... ssue69.pdf).

If you have any questions about Ray's supplement or fueling strategy for Badwater, give me a shout at Hammer (800.336.1977) or shoot me an email at sborn@hammernutrition.com

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby bechange » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks Steve. We are excited. I appreciate your insights and support. Ray and and all of us are thankful and enjoying every step of the journey.

Forward is good!
Much Hope.
JAS
bechange

Return to Endurance Forum