Forum

Perpeteum Question

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Perpeteum Question

Postby Deano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi,

I want to carry the most concentrated amount of Perpeteum on an upcoming marathon. I have been using 1.5 scoops per hour on my long runs and am wondering how much I can put in the Hammer 5 oz gel flask. I plan on a 3:30 time so I would need 5.25 scoop if I did the math correctly. Don't think this will all fit in the flask but want to know the max for the flask. Plan on taking some Hammer Gels too. :-)

Website says: "Depending on how many scoops per hour you require, and how concentrated the mix is, each flask of Perpetuem can supply you with 2-4 hours of fuel." It would be great if it stated how many scoops the flask could hold.

Thanks,

Deano
Deano

Re: Perpeteum Question

Postby steve-born » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Hello Deano -

Whenever I've made super-concentrated Perpetuem (which I call "Perpetuem Paste") I've used a blender for mixing purposes. A little more labor intensive, yes, but I think it allows me to get the product as concentrated as possible. Another alternative is to use a mixing bowl and whisk (though this too is a bit labor intensive).

There are other methods of making super-concentrated batches of Perpetuem but again, I think the above two are the ones that will allow you to get the thickest concentration, which will allow you to carry more hours of fuel in a flask.

I'll have to blend up a batch of Perpetuem to see just how much a flask will hold, but from what I remember (and it's been awhile ago), I believe I was able to fit just about four scoops in a flask, maybe closer to 3.5 scoops. I've got a long ride planned in the next couple of days so I'll be using "Perpetuem Paste" and can give you a little more precise answer then.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby Deano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks for the response Steve.

I have a 17 mile training run this weekend so I'll make up 4 scoops of paste and see how much I can get in the flask. Just didn't want to waste it. I had been just mixing up a multi hour handheld bottle of Perpeteum.

Your products ROCK BTW and the customer service is great too!!!!

Deano
Deano

Postby mangumc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi, Deano. Don't do what I did last year and mix up two flasks for 5 hours of riding for an IM distance event. The mixture was so dense that I had a lot of trouble getting it out of the flask, which is the last thing you want to worry about on a long ride, or run. I'd say 4 scoops max, or two hours, is all you want to put in a flask.
Chris Mangum
Raleigh, NC
mangumc

Postby tjnieman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't make a past in my gel flask and just carry the powder, which I'll put into my water bottle and mix. I get about 4 scoops into the flask. With a little packing down, you could likely get a bit more. I leave the house with one three-hour Perpetuem bottle and one water bottle. With the powder in the flask, I have about 6 hours of fuel. Works great!
tjnieman

Return to Endurance Forum