Forum

Other Causes for Muscle Cramps

The Forum for Endurance Athletes

Other Causes for Muscle Cramps

Postby jmaisano » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:09 am

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what else can cause muscle cramps besides hydration? Yesterday I did a 64 mile ride at 16.3 mph average with 4,000 vft of climbing and I really cramped up.

Here are the stats from the ride including my hydration
Self 5'6", 160 lbs
Ride Hammering Happy Hill JDRF charity ride Greensboro NC
64 miles
4000 vft, varying grades up to 18%
Temp 93 degrees
Humidity 75%+ maybe even more then that

3 hrs pre ride meal 280 cal, 3 PIC, 1 MC,1 RCS
1 hr pre ride 2 RCS, 2 MC, 4 Endurolytes
During ride hydration Per hr: 24 oz water mixed with 1 scoop perpetuem & 1 scoop Heed
Every hr during ride: 2 RCS, 2 MC, 4 Endurolytes 4 AFC
Every 1/2 hr 4 Endurolytes
occasionally 1 tablet of Energy Surge
Post Ride Recoverite, 2 MC, 2 RCS, 4 Endrolytes, 1 Chromemate

I know it was really hot but I stuck to my game plan and I was trying to watch not to over hydrate. I felt really good and strong for the first 40+ mile but really started to cramp up after that, most notably during assents up hills or anytime I really start to exert a lot of effort.

Any help, comments, or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the help

Joe

Ride to Cure Diabetes!!!
jmaisano

Re: Other Causes for Muscle Cramps

Postby steve-born » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am

Hello Joe -

Couple of thoughts:

1) Your pre-race meal looks fine as long as you're completing it three hours prior to the start of your warmup (which should be very close to the start of the race), or three hours prior to the start of the race itself (assuming no warmup). Your supplementation plan looks fine as well.

2) Make sure that you're drinking water every hour during the three-hour period prior to the start. I've seen a number of recommendations but the most common one, and the ones I prefer the most, is about 10-12 ounces of water - perhaps up to 16 ounces (roughly 1/2 liter) - every hour prior to the start.

3) When the weather is that hot and the humidity is that high I would suggest taking a dose of Endurolytes every hour prior to the start (perhaps 2-3 capsules every hour along with your water). According to an online heat index calculator I sometimes use, 93F + 75% humidity = a heat index of 120 degrees... that's just flat-out hot! So in these conditions, pre-emptively taking in sufficient (but not too much) amounts of water and Endurolytes prior to the start would certainly be merited.

3) Your hourly calorie intake was 240 (135 from 1 scoop of Perpetuem + 105 from 1 scoop of HEED). Under less harsh conditions that would be an appropriate amount for someone of your body size/weight. However, in these hot conditions it may be just slightly on the high side. When the weather conditions are that extreme and when you're doing a lot of climbing (as you alluded to in your post), the digestive process slows way down. Therefore, it might be worth trying a slightly smaller amount of calories... perhaps as low as 180-200 an hour.

4) When you mix 1 scoop of HEED and 1 scoop of Perpetuem in a 24-ounce water bottle, you're going to have a couple fewer ounces of actual fluid left in the bottle (accounting for the addition of the powdered fuels). This is just a rough estimate but I'd say there would be about 21-22 ounces of actual fluid in the bottle. What I'm getting at is that I think you were under-hydrated with that amount, even with 24 ounces of fluid/hour, in my opinion. In weather conditions that harsh I would not hesitate to increase fluid intake to 28 ounces per hour, even up to 30 if the weather is that hot and humid. Your 8 Endurolytes/hour should easily accommodate that increased fluid intake.

I hope these suggestions help. Additional information about cramping can be found in Dr. Bill Misner's article at http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledg ... s.777.html

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby jmaisano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 am

Steve

As always thank you for the input and suggestions. I will make these small adjustments the next time I see conditions like this.

I guess the next question then becomes how do you know when to make such changes? I understand that everyone is different but at what point do you increase or decrease you amounts? Do you follow specific guidelines or is this simply trial and error?

For my records I will make the adjustments in my training logs and make sure I review them before my next ride.

Again thank you for help.

Joe

Ride to Cure Diabetes!!
jmaisano

Postby steve-born » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:22 am

Hello Joe -

As we are all "experiments of one" it oftentimes comes down to "trial and error" (a.k.a. "testing in training") to determine what is going to work best for you, the individual athlete, under a variety of conditions.

We can provide generalized dosing information (which we do in the various articles in the KNOWLEDGE section on the website), but every athlete needs to be flexible with those suggestions, sensibly altering them on an as-needed basis.

This is especially true with electrolyte replenishment as many variables - the size of the athlete, their fitness level, their biological predisposition, the weather outside, and how well or poorly they're acclimated to the weather - need to be factored in when determining how many Endurolytes one needs.

Sincerely -

Steve
Steve Born
Fueling Expert
Event Sponsorship Coordinator
www.hammernutrition.com
steve-born

Postby jmaisano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 am

Steve

That works for me. I will keep going and see what happens.

Thanks

Joe
jmaisano

Return to Endurance Forum