Forum

In season stim

In season stim

Postby rod9301 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:23 pm

I use the compex pre season (mountain bike)3x a week on quads and butt level 5@90ma. Never sore.

In season,i ride 4 times a week, and I use the compex after a ride on level 2@50, and I am sore for 2 days.
How do I prevent soreness?
rod9301

Re: In season stim

Postby levi-hoch » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:25 pm

rod9301,

What Compex model do you have and which program are you running? Each of the training programs on the Compex have 5 levels and we recommend starting with level 1 and progressing to subsequent levels after spending 2-3 weeks at each level. The old Compex classic units measured stimulation levels in milliamps (mA) and the newer Compex models (i.e. Edge, Performance US, Sport Elite) measure stimulation levels in "energy levels" which are smaller increment adjustments of mA. 90 energy levels on your quads is around 37 mA. 90 mA would be approximately 539 energy levels (higher than most people get). I'm guessing you were referring to energy levels but please clarify.

When first starting out with the training programs on an EMS device, we recommend being conservative with how high you turn it up to prevent excessive, long lasting soreness and help introduce your muscles to the stress gradually. Once you're accustomed to it you should shoot for a level that's uncomfortable and results in some soreness that lasts a day or two. That way you know you're getting a good workout and you're recruiting more muscle fiber (muscle fiber that doesn't get used, hence the soreness) but that you won't be debilitated for several days while you recover from over taxing your muscles. Keep track of the number you reach and try and increase the number over time as you use the device more.

Everyone is different and the energy levels you reach are unique to you. I can't give you an arbitrary number of where you should be but using residual soreness as your guide you can pinpoint almost exactly how high you should turn it up. After you've spent a couple weeks at each level and pushed the energy levels up to your own tolerance level, you can proceed to the next level which will be a harder stimulation. You should start at a lower energy level than where you left off on the previous program level and begin to work your way back up using the same technique of analyzing soreness in the following days and making adjustments accordingly.

It's also crucial to make sure you're allowing sufficient time to recover between sessions and between conventional training sessions. It's important to make sure you're getting adequate sleep afterward too. The article Sleep Builds Strong Muscle Mass is an excellent read on the importance of sleep for recovery. It could be that you're over training in season by adding EMS training in addition to your conventional training and not getting enough sleep or recovery time to deal with the work load. A popular way to incorporate EMS training into your existing conventional training is to "stack" EMS training sessions on top of conventional training sessions. For example, if you go for a 2 hour "base miles" ride early season but would have liked to get more time in but you were restricted due to weather or available daylight, you could follow your 2 hour base training ride with a Compex Endurance program which will add the equivalent workload to your muscles of around 3-4 hours' worth of riding (for a total of 5-6 hours' worth for the day). If you're in your build periods and doing harder intensities at higher heart rates with intervals, hill climbing, etc. you could follow a training ride up with Resistance or Strength which will add to the work volume your muscles get that day but target fast twitch muscle fiber like you used during your training ride. Stacking EMS training sessions on top of your conventional training instead of doing conventional training and EMS training on alternating days will allow you to synchronize the necessary recovery time between both, training rides and EMS training sessions.

It sounds like you may have just been over training/under recovering if you're getting more wiped out in season from an EMS session than during your off season. I also recommend reading the article Recovery - A crucial component for success for information on how to get the most from your training and recover quickly.

Endurance, Resistance, Strength, and Explosive Strength all have their own built in cool down that lasts around 10-15 minutes at the end of the session. This is not as effective as Active Recovery so it's still important to follow it up with AR. I stop the training program as soon as it enters the cool down phase to save myself 10-15 minutes and immediately go back into the main menu and run Active Recovery. I like to drink my Recoverite and take my recovery supplements at this time as well. This will help reduce soreness in the following day(s).

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby rod9301 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

I have an older compex, and it goes from 0 tu 110, pretty sure it's mA.

I get plenty of sleep, and rest.

I use the strength mode, and in off season,i am at level 5, 90 ma, out of max of 110.

In the season, I use the compex after a ride, in strength mode, level 1, and if I go to 50, I am sore for a couple of days.
Should I use the compex more thanonce a week in season?

I use the compex before a rest day.
rod9301

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:12 pm

You could definitely try increasing the frequency of use in season from once per week to 2-3 times per week and see if that helps. For best results, we do recommend using the training programs 2-3 times per week (still allowing at least 48 hours' recovery time between sessions on the same muscle). Keep in mind however, that both your conventional training (your rides) and the Compex training programs will work the muscles and fatigue them. The Compex training sessions will work the isolated muscle you put the pads on more thoroughly than your riding so if you're riding first and then running EMS, you're compounding the amount of stress to that muscle and it makes sense that more soreness would ensue. During your off season, if you're not riding before your Compex training sessions you're only getting part of the work load you'd get if you did both.

I agree with your decision to use the Compex training programs before a planned rest day. If you increase your use of Compex training programs to 2-3 times per week and you don't have that many planned rest days per week you should at least time the Compex training sessions so as not to interfere with your most important training days (don't run these programs the day or 2 before your important training days).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation