Forum

Active Recovery & Glycogen

Active Recovery & Glycogen

Postby ibike365 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Does the Active Recovery program deplete glycogen the way a Strength or Endurance program might? I'm curious about using AR on "off days".

Thanks,
Charles
ibike365

Re: Active Recovery & Glycogen

Postby levi-hoch » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Hello Charles,

I believe you are correct that the EMS training programs (Endurance, Resistance, Strength) do deplete some glycogen. I don't know how much but I believe it does to some extent. After every training session it's a good idea to run Active Recovery and I like to drink a serving of Recoverite during the Active Recovery session. This will help replenish any depleted glycogen and the protein and glutamine will aid in muscle recovery and reducing soreness. If you're only doing an EMS training session followed by Active Recovery, you could use a smaller serving of Recoverite as carbohydrates won't be as critical for glycogen replenishment as if you had done an endurance exercise and thoroughly depleted your glycogen stores. I might use a single scoop of Recoverite and 1 scoop of Hammer Whey in this circumstance for plenty of protein and minimal carbohydrates. If you stack an EMS training program on top of a conventional workout then go ahead and use a "full" serving of Recoverite (generally around 2 scoops).

The Active Recovery program should not deplete glycogen as it does not work or fatigue the muscle the way the training programs do and will not hold sustained contractions like the training programs do. Active Recovery only creates muscle pulses which increases circulation but to my knowledge, will not deplete glycogen.

It is highly recommended that you run Active Recovery as often as you can make time for. You cannot over use this program and the more you can run it the better. So go ahead and run it on your off days and don't worry about glycogen depletion.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation