Forum

compex

compex

Postby basketball3 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi I been using compex for a while then I stop and now im ready to start back. Im on a plyometrics program right now to increase my vertical leap and im trying to add the compex into my workout so it could boost my vertical leap more. I been reading online how using ems could increase vertical leap dramastically and also read how some nba supposely did it to jump higher not sure if its true or not. So my question is will the compex increase vertical and what program should I use, what muscle group to attack, and how many days a week. In addition is their any athlete that used ems to jump higher and dunk.

Thanks
basketball3

Re: compex

Postby levi-hoch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey Godfrey,

You certainly can train with Compex to develop your muscles in a way that would otherwise be impossible. Although EMS training will never overcome physiological limitations, you can train more muscle fibers to respond to voluntary action than would otherwise be unusable.

I would encourage you to visit the EMS knowledge section http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/electrical-muscle-stimulation/ to see if any of the recommended training protocols would apply to your training goals. I would guess that you'd primarily want to train your calves and maybe quads and hamstrings/glutes. If you're wanting to improve explosive strength, you'll want to focus mainly on the Strength and Explosive Strength programs. I'd recommend starting with Strength level 1 and progressing through each of the 5 levels with each level being utilized for 2 weeks at the highest intensity you can tolerate. After you've worked your way through the different levels of the Strength program, you can move on to Explosive Strength and progress through the levels in the same manner.

There are different ways of using EMS in conjunction with your conventional training but if you run a Compex strength session on the same day as you do conventional training, it's best if you start with the conventional workout and follow that up with EMS.

I don't know how widely EMS strength training is used in the NBA but I imagine it would be pretty common as it is one of the best ways to improve fitness and has been used by professional athletes for many years.

You can use your Compex device daily but if you're focusing a strength program on a particular muscle group, you need to allow at least 48 hours of recovery before targeting that muscle group again as it is breaking down muscle tissue just as a conventional workout would. You can alternate muscle groups and use a strength program on different muscles on a daily basis but don't forget the importance of recovery. Active Recovery can and should be run on a daily basis.

I hope this answers your questions, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby basketball3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:31 am

So I been running explosive strength level 1 on my quads and calfs for 2 weeks 3 times a week. Can I add strength program level 1 as well on my quads and calf as well. Maybe strength in the morning and explosive strength at night. Then move up each level after 2 weeks. Will this help with improving my vertical leap or is it to much.

In addition, how come I cant really move up as quickly for my calves while my quads it really easy. I get stuck at a certain level for my calves.
basketball3

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Running any strength enhancing program on the same muscle group more than once per day is too much and you won't have adequate recovery time between sessions. The recovery process is just as important as the actual training its self as it's during this time that the body rebuilds stronger. Neglecting to allow sufficient recovery time will have you regressing and training will be counter productive. I highly recommend reading this recovery article that has some excellent tips on how to get the most out of your training and recover quickly. After running a strength program, you should run Active Recovery and drink your Recoverite while Active Recovery is running. I'm also a big proponent of this article on sleep as it explains how important it is that you get adequate sleep when training hard like you're doing.

You can try alternating 2 week sessions with Strength for 2 weeks then Explosive Strength for 2 weeks if you like.

If you're seeing faster gains in your quads than in your calves, it could be just that your quads are a bigger muscle and you might see more dramatic gains as a result, or it could be that your calves are not recovering fully before running the strength program on them again. It could also be due to the efficiency of the neurological connection between your brain and the muscles. I don't know for sure why you're seeing faster improvement in your quads than your calves but those are some ideas.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby jbruskewitz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 am

Running two programs in a row is likely more than one can absorb, but it MAY be something that one could build up to . We do get better at recovering with training. The Strength and Explosive Strength train the same muscle fiber type, but they do stress two different energy delivery systems. For this reason it would be easier to absorb these two workouts back to back or at least within the same 48 hour time frame. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat so to speak. There is variability between individuals regarding ability to absorb training loads and how they thoroughly and quickly they recover from them. A question that should be asked is: how much of the total training load one wants to devote to strength building to enhance a sport. As Levi suggests in his post, it is always better to error on training slightly below the capacity to absorb a load rather than slightly overshooting it. Levi’s approach should be the rule rather than the exception.

Taking the ability to absorb a training load and recover in time for the next planned training bout, doing back to back strength workouts with say Strength and Recovery on the same muscle group is a possibility. Two different muscle fiber types are being trained here, FT(fast twitch)x and FTa respectively. The % of the entire muscle that is being trained is greater than if only one muscle fiber type were being trained. However, each muscle fiber type is receiving only one training bout. I and others I train have been following this protocol with success. It should also be noted that the training load delivered is a product of the length of the program and how high one turns up the intensity. If one really pushes their level of tolerance, the training load will be greater than if one stops with a moderately strong contraction when setting the intensity. The bigger the training load, the longer the recovery period needed before one can accept another reasonable training load.
jbruskewitz

Postby basketball3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 pm

I been doing the explosive strength on my calf and quads and Im feeling sore. I been running active recovery on both the quads and calf after the workouts and my days off. The problem im experiencing is that while im running the active recovery program is that it would just shut off out of no where, I then would have to start the program again. Its been happening everyday this week everything is connected properly and im using gel. What should I do?
basketball3

Postby levi-hoch » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Godfrey,

Is your Compex displaying an error message on the screen when it shuts down? If not, you might try removing the battery and re-installing it and see if that helps. If you're still experiencing this issue, please call us at 800-336-1977 and ask for Levi or Casey and we'll help you get this problem resolved.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation