Forum

MS & Compex

MS & Compex

Postby gammason » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Hey everyone,

My wife is dealing with Multiple Sclerosis, which means she cannot walk all that well on the account of not being able to feel and control her lower half of her body. It's wierd cause she's got feeling - describes it as walking on marbles or glass, or feet/legs are numb, but just cannot control the lower body to walk normally.

This means that the way she gets exercise (walking) is hard to do. We still walk every day, but it's short distances and lots of breaks.

She was checking out the Hammer catalog saw the EMS unit and wondered if anybody else with health problems is using this kind of system to supplement the muscle building process. Taking the brain out of the picture would be a good thing in her case, considering MS is a neurological issue.

So I'm thinking of getting this unit for her, but don't want to waste our precious $$$ on something that will show no benefit. Even a very small benefit would be very worth it, in this situation.

OK, long winded post - please excuse me for that. :-) Does anybody have any input pertaining to the EMS unit and disease challenged folks using it?

BTW, I'm a bike rider and KNOW I'll get benefit. ;)

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Scott
gammason

Re: MS & Compex

Postby levi-hoch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Scott,

I've heard of people using EMS for this condition before but I have no personal experience with it. It sounds like it could be highly beneficial but I really don't know how much of a help it will be. The units do come with a 90 day money back guaranty so if you buy one and after don't trying it are not seeing the results you hoped for you can return it for a full refund. As you mentioned, it would be a benefit to you as a cyclist. My opinion is that outside of proper nutrition and conventional training, EMS is one of the best ways to improve your fitness and expedites recovery after a hard training session.

I hope you end up ordering one of these, if you do, keep us posted on the results your wife sees from using it, we'd love to hear about it!

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Postby dphillips7 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:12 am

I am trying the Compex for related circumstances. My wife has arthritis which makes it painful for her to maintain activity; however, muscle stimulation is exactly what is needed to counteract the degeneration in her joints. Limited clinical studies, but I have learned not to rely wholly on contemporary medicine for the solution. We are experimenting now, and I am incorporating use of the unit in IM training. Glad to compare notes if you decide to purchase. For what its worth, I think you are on the right track. I wish I would have got this for my wife years ago.
------------------------
David Phillips
d.phillips7@me.com
dphillips7

Postby levi-hoch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Thank you David! I'm glad to hear that EMS is helping your wife with her condition. Thanks for sharing.

Levi
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation