Forum

Muscle Imbalance

Muscle Imbalance

Postby POTTER » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi,

I have a Compex unit and I was wondering how to go about correcting a muscle imbalance. Do I run the strength setting harder on the weaker muscle? I realize that the weaker muscle will need to run at a higher setting than the stronger muscle for them to get the same workout, but should I intentionally run the weaker muscle harder? I Sure do appreciate your help with this!!

Thanks,

Philip
POTTER

Re: Muscle Imbalance

Postby casey-becker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi Philip,

The short answer is no. You do not need to intentionally work the weaker muscle harder. As you understand, the weaker side will have to be run at a higher intensity setting by manual selection of the appropriate channels. The difference you see in the numbers on display in regards to each muscle will, over time become less and less distant. What you are looking to accomplish is the same visible twitch between the muscles on each side of the body. For example: If you are using the strength program on your quads and your left side is the stronger of the two legs, the numbers on the display corresponding to the channels that you have on that leg will likely be a smaller number than what you see displayed on the screen for the right quad. Having said that, you want to make sure that each quad is twitching the same, visibly.

Now, keep in mind that you do not want to exceed your comfort level. If you have no troubles at a certain setting with the stronger of the two legs, don’t go beyond your pain threshold on the weaker leg to achieve the same visible twitch. Reach the “top” of your comfort level on the weaker muscle and adjust the stronger to achieve the goal. Over time, you will notice that the numbers on the display will be close, if not identical, as you work to correct your imbalance.

I hope that I have answered your question, Philip. If there is anything else, please let me know!

Regards,

Casey
casey-becker

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation