Forum

E-stim for Race prep?

E-stim for Race prep?

Postby NicM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 am

I know there has to be a way to get better race results by preparing using e-stim just before the race (feel free to replace the word race with "hard effort"); however, I haven't a clue what that might be. I tried using the Endurance prep setting the other day before a hard movement but it just seemed to tire me out. Any suggestions on what program to use just before a race and what intensity they should be run on (Globus Premium Sport)?
NicM

Re: E-stim for Race prep?

Postby jbruskewitz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:37 am

I’m surprised to hear that you feel worn out after a warm up program. You are after two thing in general from any of the warm up programs. One, by contracting the muscle the response is an opening of the arterioles that supply the muscle with blood. Like a radiator that allows warm water to suddenly flow through it when the thermostat opens the zone valve, the muscle tissue will warm up. Raise the temperature of the muscle and the chemical reactions that result in a muscle contraction will occur at a faster rate. More force will be generated per unit time. Secondly, you’ll increase the number of muscle fibers that are recruited to produce a force. The force production will go up from this too.

Which program you select should depend on what you’re warming up for. A fast start, a steady sustained effort, or something in between are your three choices. The sprint will stimulate both slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. Endurance will focus on slow twitch muscle fibers. If you are warming up for a 5k run or a criterium, the sprint would be a good way to go. The Warm Up would be the choice for an effort that requires not an all out sprint from the gun, but a variety of paces one may encounter in the early stages of the effort. The endurance is for the steady long haul.

You may just need to ease into the warm up a bit more. You’ll warm up to the warm up so to speak. Try being very conservative in the early stages of the program with the intention of increasing the mA throughout the length of the program. Warming up with as little time as possible between the end of the program and the gun going off is important. The warm up will wear off over time. Sweats or warm ups before an event are worn to keep the muscles warm after they’ve been warmed up. I’ve raced with my pads on when my cycling shorts will cover them up so that I can move quickly from the warm up to the start. I find it’s very helpful.
jbruskewitz

Postby NicM » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks, Jim. Perhaps I was kicking off the Endurance prep program to fast. I also used endurance prep when I probably should have used the Sprint prep program. Should I use the Warm Up program and then the Sprint Prep, or just the Sprint prep by itself?
NicM

Postby jbruskewitz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Nic,

You should be fine with the sprint prep only. There would be absolutely no harm in doing both the warm up and then the print program back to back. The time between the end of the last program and the start of the race or training session remains and issue. After the program(s), your muscles will work more efficiently. Enjoy it.

Jim Bruskewitz
jbruskewitz

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation