Forum

Injury recovery

Injury recovery

Postby jbruskewitz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:42 pm

I had my knee scoped to repair a torn meniscus 12 days ago. I’m loathe to lose my current level of fitness, so I have been using the Compex to strength train while my normal training is greatly curtailed. I can build strength without loading the knee joint or moving through any range of motion-perfect while rehabilitating from an injury and procedure.

Here is what I’ve noticed. My quadriceps strength right to left was balanced from E-stim training over a number of years. Now, in such a short period of time, I’ve developed an imbalance. The injured leg required 20% more stimulation to achieve the same degree of muscular contraction as the uninjured one. Neural inhibition can increase in a few days due to injury. I also noticed that by the time I’ve moved half way through a strength program, that the balance has returned. With a strong contraction, neural inhibition can be greatly reduced within and between workouts.

When it comes to strength, there are three main characteristics that most influence it’s development: neural inhibition, neural inhibition, and neural inhibition.
jbruskewitz

Re: Injury recovery

Postby rfrye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 am

I hope you recover quickly, Jim.

Last Fall, a friend had a bad road crash with eye and brain injuries. During recovery, he couldn't let his blood pressure rise without getting headaches. I lent him my Globus, so that he could maintain some training without straining. He said it worked. But he was new to NMES, so he had trouble fitting it into his daily schedule in the long run.

-Roger Frye
rfrye

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation