Forum

Globus Pads

Globus Pads

Postby tva448 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 pm

I've been having trouble getting my pads to stick.

Are they worn out or do I need to cut all of my hair off. :o
I thought I read somewhere that they make some pads that work better over hair.

Any experience or suggestions?
HAMMER-On
Tim D.
tva448

Re: Globus Pads

Postby jason-keister » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Tim,

When pads lose their adhesion, or when they begin to sting the skin, that is usually an indication that the pads are worn out and need to be discarded. We do sell an electrode gel:

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... ccessories

that will greatly extend the life of your electrode pads. It is recommended that you replace your pads after 25-30 uses, so if you've used your pads this many times or more it's time to swap them out for new ones. While I am not aware of any pads that work better that other, or at least not that I have used, there are a few things you can do to help them last longer.

1. Only touch the corner of pads when placing, removing, or storing the pads.
2. Keep your pads in the supplied zip lock bag, or even double up on zip lock bags, especially if you live in a very dry climate (Southwest US).
3. Only place the pads on clean skin, so post workout take the time to shower before placing pads on your skin, or at least wipe your legs down first.
4. Shaving definitely helps as this prevents hair from gumming up the pads.

Hopefully this info is helpful, if you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Jason
jason-keister

Postby cmc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm always trying to figure out ways to make the pads last longer. I think I get a lot more than 30 uses. Some of my suggestions echo Jason's. I shave so I haven't tried them over hair.

1) Use on clean skin. Unless I took a shower recently, I wipe the sweat or dirt off my skin.
2) I live in a very dry climate, but if I'm planning to do EMS after a shower I don't put moisturizer on skin where I'll be placing electrodes.
3) I use electrode gel liberally, but not all the time. I find if the pads are starting to lose their stickiness I put a layer (appx 1mm thick) of gel on the pads before putting them back on the plastic sheets and into the ziplock bags. After that they're usually good to go for a few more sessions before I need to reapply gel.
4) Sometimes the old gel builds up. I've rinsed them under the faucet to clean some of this off and let them air dry thoroughly before applying a layer of gel, and storing them for at least a few hours on their plastic sheets before using again. Once I tried soaking them for a few minutes, but that left just the backing with no sticky.
5) I don't know why, but I think it helps to push them down on the plastic sheets for storage, so there's not a lot of trapped air.
6) I sort of pull the pad up by holding the wire, as close as possible to the pad (I know that is contrary to the instructions), but doing it that way I don't have to touch the pad at all.

Hope that helps,
Cathy
cmc

Postby tva448 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks Jason and Cathy,

I've tried some or all of both of your ideas. I think I am just trying to get more life out of the pads than is reasonable. During the summer I do shave my legs and trim the hair on my arms and chest, but it's winter now, so I have let my winter coat grow. ;)

I did read somewhere about using athletic tape to get a little more life out of them as well. I'll be getting more pads on my next order though.....

Thanks for the help
HAMMER-On
Tim D.
tva448

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation