Forum

Globus 101

Globus 101

Postby jason-keister » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Globus 101

So you’ve taken the plunge and shelled out $600 or more for a device that supposedly can make you stronger, faster, and better looking. Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating a little with the better looking comment … or am I? The Globus device you hold in your hands can actually do all of these things and much more. More than likely what you’re wondering right now is, “How the heck do I use this thing?!” Well, no worries, because we’re here to help. This document will get you started and assist you in feeling comfortable using your unit. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments beyond the scope of this info, please do not hesitate to shoot us an email at globus@hammernutrition.com, or ask to speak with Jason at 1-800-366-1977. Without further ado, let’s get you started using your new Globus.
First off, let’s touch briefly on the three primary ways you will use this unit. One of the fastest and easiest ways to improve your athletic performance is to use this unit to enhance your recovery. When you go for a bike ride, run, paddle, etc., you actually make the body weaker for a short time after the workout. You’ve damaged or devoured muscle tissue, depleted energy stores, and flooded the body with all kinds of toxic by-products of metabolic processes. Given the proper rest and nutrition, the body will rebuild itself stronger after the workout, thus preparing itself for the next one. As everyone knows, massage can help hasten recovery post- workout. But how does massage help you recover? By stimulating blood flow to a muscle, massage will flush out any metabolic waste and toxins remaining in the muscle after a tough workout or race, and will help deliver fresh blood with the nutrients needed to repair damaged muscles. This is what the Active Recovery and Massage programs on your Globus will also do. Basically, these programs cause the muscle to twitch, which allows the muscle to act as a pump, forcing blood through the muscle. This hastens the recovery process by ensuring the muscles get what they need to repair themselves. These programs can also bring relief to tight, chronically sore muscles such as shoulders, lower back, and hamstrings. Imagine being able to bring relief to chronically tight muscles in 20 minutes or less, just about anywhere, like in the comfort of your own home. I’ve talked to athletes that experienced relief from painful knots in their calves and all sorts of muscle-related issues just by running Active Recovery every day. When you consider the cost of massages, this becomes a viable alternative that is much more affordable in the long run.
The second way you will use this device is by incorporating it into your training routine to build strength. While the Globus is never a complete replacement for strength training, and definitely not a replacement for your “real” training (cycling, running, swimming, paddling, etc.), here is how it can help you. First of all, we all have a muscular imbalance of some sort. One side of the body is generally stronger than the other by nature. In addition, injuries and poor posture during activities and everyday wear and tear can make this imbalance worse. In most cases, correcting this imbalance through traditional means (one-limbed exercises) is dangerous and usually leads to injury or more problems. With the Globus, you have the ability to easily increase or decrease intensity to any given muscle separately from the neighboring muscle groups. Secondly, when the body sends an impulse to a muscle to cause a contraction, this impulse spills over to as many muscle fibers as it can. Imagine pouring a few ounces of water into the corner of an ice cube tray. When the first cube is full, the water spills over to the next cube, and the next, and the next, until the water is gone. The impulse that the Globus produces is stronger than what your body can produce on its own, so with the Globus you have the ability to fire or stimulate more muscle fibers than your body can alone. This means you can build strength faster and more efficiently than you can through traditional means. Finally, and especially for older athletes or for those with joint issues, the Globus allows you to perform maximum strength training, the type that will build muscle mass, without the risk of injury to joints. Even if your knees will not allow you to squat or leg press large amounts of weight, you can still gain muscle mass with the Globus.

The final way your Globus will be used is for warm-up. Do you ever jump into a group ride with a bunch of riders that are already warmed up and end up just hurting immensely for the first half hour? Ever showed up at a race with not enough time to warm up and faced the prospect of suffering mightily for the first lap? While it can’t do anything for your cardiovascular system, the Globus can be used to get a great muscular warm-up prior to high-intensity events such as 5-10 k’s, cyclocross races, sprint distance triathlons, short distance paddling races, and just about any other high-intensity event you can think of. Olympic athletes use similar devices to warm up prior to competition and now you can too. By stimulating blood flow to a muscle group, you can go into your training and competitions better prepared, with less risk of injury.

All right, so now that you know what you will be using your Globus for, let’s get started. I would recommend that everyone run Active Recovery or Massage first just to get accustomed to how EMS feels. I’ll leave the more in-depth operation of the unit up to the User’s Manual that is included, but will touch on some basics. One of the first things you may want to do after turning your unit on is to adjust the contrast. From the first screen you see upon turning your unit on, select “Advanced” from the four options. Arrow down to “Contrast” and select. I find that the best contrast to run the unit at is 1. Use the arrows to dial the contrast to where you would like it and press OK. Hooking up the cables is pretty straight forward, which color cable goes into which port is not important. Pad placement can be a little confusing at first. Use the pad placement PDF’s that are on our website, the videos on the GlobusUSA website, or the pictures on the machine itself once you have selected a body part. Pad placement will vary slightly from person to person, so during your first few sessions you will need to experiment with the placement a bit until you find what works best for you. A good placement is one that does not cause any discomfort (placing the pad on a tendon is very uncomfortable, and you will definitely know if you do this), and one that allows for good stimulation of the muscle fibers. Once I have started the program I will put my fingers on the pad that is placed on the head of the muscle, and slide it around slightly to see if I get a better contraction. If I move that pad slightly and suddenly I notice a more intense contraction, I will pause the program and move the pad. Trying to remove the pad from your skin without pausing the program will give you a little zap. Nothing too bad, but I recommend pausing the program first. A couple sessions on any given muscle group and you will have the pad placement dialed. One thing you may notice is that there are no body part options on the unit itself for the back, chest, or abs. This was per the FDA’s request that trunk placements not be included in the event that someone with a pacemaker or other heart rate-controlling device uses the machine. For healthy individuals with no such devices, please do so at your own discretion. For the body part selection, just select “Upper Leg” and use whatever program you desire.

When you actually start a program, you will see four numbers across the bottom of the screen. These numbers determine the milliamp intensity of the contractions. Every program starts at zero and is increased manually. You can increase all four channels at once or increase channels individually. For Active Recovery and Massage, you will receive the most benefit by running these programs in the 30-50 mA range. You don’t have to hit this intensity right away, but try to reach it by five minutes into the program. Generating a strong flushing effect will ensure good results with these programs. If you are using Active Recovery or Massage on a tight, sore, or slightly injured muscle, you may run it at even lower intensities. Always stay within your comfort level. For strength building programs (Endurance, Resistance Strength, Maximum Strength, Explosive Strength, etc.), you will want to start with a low intensity; I recommend going no higher than 15 mA for your first couple of sessions. Even if this doesn’t feel like it’s doing much, resist the urge to increase the intensity beyond 15 mA for your first session. Remember, you are firing and working muscle fibers that don’t normally do a lot of work, so exercise caution until you get a feel for how sore you are, or aren’t, after the first session or two. If you do experience soreness post-workout with the Globus, it is likely to occur more than 24 hours afterward, so take it easy at first. Once you have determined that a workout at a particular intensity doesn’t make you too sore, you’re ready to increase intensity by 5 mA the next session. The goal is to gradually increase the mA of the program as the body adapts, just as you would add weight in the weight room as you get stronger. This progression should happen slowly. Without a break-in period, you can make yourself extremely sore, which can affect your other training. For warm-ups, I recommend keeping the intensity below 40 mA. You don’t want to fatigue the muscle before your race or workout, just stimulate blood flow.

Now you’re probably wondering what programs to use and when to use them. For Active Recovery, Massage, and Stretch Relax, your best results will come if used 1-3 hours post- workout. I know that there is some contradictory information out there stating that it should be used 8-24 hours post-workout, but this is incorrect. Your best bet is to use the machine before any metabolic waste material has had any time to do its damage. In the case of just trying to relieve tension in tight muscles or work out knots, you can run these recovery programs anytime. For warm-up programs, use them anytime within 10-15 minutes of starting exercise. If you’re going to perform a cardio warm-up along with the Globus, run the Globus warm-up right before you start the rest of your warm-up routine. The strength building routines are a bit more involved. For the most part, I always do my “real” workout before doing any Globus work. Whether that real workout is running, cycling, swimming, weight training, or anything else, always perform the real workout first. The Globus workout is going to fatigue you, so you do not want that fatigue affecting your other workout. On the other hand, the Globus will, to some extent, override any fatigue from previous workouts so fatigue from earlier is not a problem. With that said, I also like to perform my Globus workouts on the same day as other workouts, rather than on rest days. That way, I can rest completely on off days rather than work muscle groups that should be recovering.

We have a few recommended training schedules in the Globus Premium Sport 101 document that is on our website. These routines will tell you what muscle groups to work and what programs to use. We also have articles in our bi-monthly editions of Endurance News that discuss routines. You can access back issues of Endurance News on our website. Experts are also available to help with any questions that you may have, from how to incorporate the device into your training, to using the various features, and anything else you would like to know. Contact us either by phone at 1-800-366-1977 or on the EMS forum on the Hammer website http://www.hammernutrition.com/forums/. We look forward to helping you take your performance to the next level!
jason-keister

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation