Forum

Triathlon Training Protocol Chart

Triathlon Training Protocol Chart

Postby DelawareClyde » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 pm

I am a triathlete with a Compex Sport Elite model. I got the unit last year and have really only used the recovery programs. I want to start working the other programs into my training. To that end, I am trying to understand the Triathlon Training Protocol chart http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/TriathlonProtocol.pdf and have a number of questions. The verbiage at the bottom of the page is cut off to the left of the chart shown above. Perhaps there is also some verbiage in the left margin that is cut off that if I were able to view, would make the chart more readily understood. First question is regarding the blue boxes at the top of the page. What is the relationship of the blue boxes to the chart below? For example, Day 7 says "Rest" in the blue box at the top, while the chart below shows a Resistance session. (And why does it suggest AR before the Resistance session?) I am guessing that the first seven days shown on the chart are to be repeated for X number of weeks, the second row for X number of weeks and the third row for X number of weeks. If this is correct, what is X? Finally, where does the Explosive Strength program fit into this picture? Thank you for your help!
DelawareClyde

Re: Triathlon Training Protocol Chart

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Hello Lance,

As I stated in the forum post Question About Training Guide, I personally find these charts somewhat confusing. I prefer the training recommendations that have been published throughout the years in the Endurance News magazine. This is the best EMS training resource available and I highly recommend perusing the EMS articles that have been written in the magazine. Many of these articles are linked to in the EMS Knowledge section on our website. The article I referenced in the other forum post is found in Endurance News 85 and is called Strength training with EMS during the competitive season. I highly recommend reading this article. Basically, the charts (like the one you asked about) show possible applications for EMS training but don't tell you what you should do. Since the limitation for most people is going to be the amount of time they're able to devote to EMS training, I encourage people to focus on their weaknesses and just do what they can with what their schedule allows. A good example of this can be found in this article from Endurance News that talks about a pro triathlete of ours Brendan Halpin, who had satisfactory performance during his run and bike legs of triathlon but was struggling with his swim time. Brendan used the training programs on the Compex on his upper body (probably his lats and triceps) a couple times a week and saw noticeable improvements. Using this concept, you should stimulate the muscles you want to improve the most, and choose the program that will develop the kind of muscle fiber you need most. If you feel you're getting adequate endurance training through your conventional training but you're struggling to break through plateaus or just don't have enough fast twitch muscle for hills, sprints, etc. you should focus on the Strength program. Endurance programs work slow twitch endurance muscles, Resistance works mostly slow twitch fibers, Strength develops fast twitch muscle, and Explosive Strength develops the muscles needed for short duration, explosive efforts. Explosive Strength may not be necessary for endurance athletes but is more suited to sprinters, ball players who have to have explosive power to jump and throw, or power lifters who want to lift heavy weights.

I'm sorry the chart was cut off, I'll ask and see if we might have a better version. I don't know what relation the blue boxes have to the chart below, I don't know if the chart was originally laid out this way, it kind of looks like those blue boxes were cropped in afterward.

You're also welcome to purchase an advanced consultation if you'd like to get more tailored training suggestions.

I hope this was helpful, please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,
Levi
levi-hoch

Re: Triathlon Training Protocol Chart

Postby levi-hoch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Here's a similar chart that is complete and doesn't have missing text http://www.shopcompex.com/media/Compex-Triathalons-Training-Guide.pdf
levi-hoch

Return to Electrical Muscle Stimulation