Recover right and reap the rewards
Know and follow the 3 Rs for superior recovery
By Steve Born
Recovery after exercise is always important, but with race season now in high gear, it's absolutely critical. To attain PRs at the big upcoming events, 1) replenish consistently with Recoverite; 2) rehydrate; and 3) resupply depleted vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants with Premium Insurance Caps, Mito Caps, Super Antioxidant, and AO Booster. Learn more about the three key aspects of recovery and follow the guidelines below for an epic season finish.
1. Replenish - As soon as possible after your workouts - ideally within the first 30 minutes - replenish your body with 30-60 grams of complex carbohydrates and 10-20 grams of whey protein isolate. Give your body this kind of support when it's most receptive to replenishment, and it will respond by:
- Storing more minutes of the premium, ready-to-use fuel known as muscle glycogen
- Strengthening your immune system
- "Kick starting" the rebuilding of muscle tissue
Recoverite, Hammer Nutrition's scientifically formulated recovery drink, provides your body with the ideal ratio of carbohydrates to protein, along with generous amounts of multi-beneficial glutamine (a whopping three grams per serving!), the potent antioxidant l-carnosine, and a full-spectrum electrolyte profile. The result is rapid and enhanced recovery, allowing you to obtain the maximum value from all your hard workouts and ideally prepping your body for your next workout or race.
2. Rehydrate - Although water has no real nutrient value, it's essential for performance, recovery, and health. Nearly two-thirds of your body is comprised of water, so it's vitally important that you drink enough of it, not just during your workout, but throughout the day. In addition to what you consume during exercise, aim for 1/2 fluid ounces of liquid per pound of body weight per day, mainly from clean, pure water. After a hard training session, you could be a bit dehydrated, so take time now to get your hydration back on track. Keep in mind that the water you use to prepare your Recoverite counts toward your daily hydration goal; so if you choose to mix it with only a small amount of water (say, 4-8 ounces), be sure to follow up with additional water.
3. Resupply - After a tough workout or race your body is begging for vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Premium Insurance Caps will resupply the vitamins and minerals (some antioxidants, too), and Hammer Nutrition's arsenal of potent antioxidant supplements - including Mito Caps, Super Antioxidant, and AO Booster - will supply wide-ranging protection against the damaging effects of free radicals.
If you consistently follow these three simple steps after every workout and race, you can look forward to a strong, healthy, and winning finish to the season.