5 Reasons Why You MUST Start Using EMS
This small device will change your life
By Brian Frank
Hammer Peak Performance Tip: Compex and Globus EMS units can help you get stronger faster, correct muscle strength imbalances, increase endurance, speed recovery after exercise or injury, reduce stiffness, stay fit during the off season, and much, much more. And with our just-announced $150 price reduction on the Compex Edge model, the time to start is NOW!
Electro Muscle Stimulation (EMS) is a truly amazing technology housed in a convenient, portable, handheld device that can literally change your life. It did mine. That's why I'm a believer and the leading promoter here in the U.S. - and why I think you should be using it, too.
It started back in the early 2000s, when I noticed many of my European friends using these little devices with cables that they would attach to their legs to make them jump as if they were being "shocked." I used one a few times, and noticed that my legs felt significantly better the next day. It was intriguing, but since the machines were not then available in the U.S., that was as far as it went.
Then in 2004 I ruptured L4 and L5 in my back. The injuries were actually small tears, and with a few months of physical therapy and rest, I should have been good to go. But I wasn't - nothing would alleviate my constant back spasms. I had severe neural inhibition in specific muscle groups due to repeated concussions in my younger years. A few years later, EMS came to the U.S. and I began using it. Immediately, I achieved results I had not seen with conventional rehab. Within six weeks, I was at my desk 8+ hours a day and riding pain-free!
You have to experience EMS technology to believe it, and marketing it requires educating others about its many advantages. Below are just a few of the reasons that I believe this product is a must for every athlete: from hardcore elite to weekend warrior, strength to ultra distance.
1. Muscular recovery - Using the Active Recovery, Recovery Plus, and/or Massage programs is like getting the best sports leg massage you can imagine, flushing out all of the acid and waste-filled blood and recharging the muscle with fresh, clean, oxygen-rich blood. The convenience of having access to these benefits whenever you like makes the device worth its price two or three times over.
2. Muscle strength imbalances - We are all asymmetrical, having one leg or arm that is stronger than the other. Over time, these imbalances can lead to pain and discomfort in the hips and low back. With conventional methods, there is almost no way to correct these imbalances without risking further injury. But with the EMS Resistance or Strength programs, you can not only identify the differential between two muscle groups, but you can also correct it by increasing the input levels on the weaker muscle. This is totally unique, justifying the price in and of itself.
3. Reversing neural inhibition - Believe it or not, most or all of us have some degree of neural inhibition in our body - a lingering effect from injuries and surgeries. From my personal experience and after working with countless athletes applying EMS, I have not found another method for reversing it, let alone one as effective as EMS. Whenever I do an EMS demonstration on an athlete, I can almost always tell whether they are right- or left-side dominant, and whether or not they've had a major injury to either or both legs, knees, hips, back, etc., just by seeing how their muscles respond.
4. Changing your muscles, for the better - You've probably heard that even world- class athletes utilize far less than 100% of their muscle fibers in any given muscle, an estimated range from 30-40% to no more than 70-80%. On top of that, each muscle has a percentage of slow twitch and fast twitch fiber that determines whether they are more naturally suited to being a strength or endurance athlete. We've also been told that there is no way to change these numbers until now. By using either strength- or endurance-oriented programs (technically, hertz ranges < 50 reach type I slow twitch fibers and > 50 reach type II fast twitch fibers), you can actually increase recruitment of type II muscle fibers, which will in turn help with your sprint, kick, and other similar movements. Likewise, focusing on the endurance programs allows for increased recruitment of type I slow twitch fibers, which will help with endurance.
5. Lower back/neck stiffness - In this modern world, where we sit for most or much of the day, aches, pains, and stiffness in the lumbar, thoracic, and cervical spine are almost universal. If you or your partner regularly experiences this discomfort, you've got to get on the EMS plan. The Massage program will change your life, and you can do it anytime that you have 30 minutes to sit or lie in one place.
I have no doubt whatsoever that you will benefit from at least three of the above mentioned reasons. EMS is what you need - just do it.